Pages

Saturday, May 26, 2012

Recording Session!

You never know until you ask... So I did!

I wondered if it would be possible to take the elementary chapel band to the local recording studio in Kandern.  There is a strong music ministry here through my mission, as well as a music school for college-aged students called SchallWerkStadt.  They have a really nice recording studio and interns who are learning about recording techniques.  I asked if we could get a tour and record a track -- and they said yes!

On the day of our trip, it was torrential downpour.  As the two chaperone moms and I drove the short 5-minute commute from the elementary school to the studio, hail began to pelt our cars and the vehicles on the 80-km road slowed.  Closer to our destination, we encountered large puddles, mud slides, rocks on the road, and even an exploded sewage pipe.  The excitement of the storm on top of our anticipation of the recording had all of the kids jumping up and down.  I reminded them of the importance of listening to directions and staying as focused as possible so that we could get a good recording.

Mr. Davis met us in the lounge and showed us the control room, instruments, and sound-proof vocal recording area.  Each kid got a headset that would be connected to a microphone in the control room and my microphone at the piano (in another room).  We did a few run-through warmups of the song we would record ("Oh, Happy Day"), and then we began recording!  After three tries, the sound techs and I were satisfied with the product.  I'm not sure what we were more excited about... hearing the playback of the recorded track or watching Beni electronically mix the sound!




The trip to the recording studio was a great way to close out the year with these amazing students.  I have loved imparting what I know about music, worship leading, and loving Jesus to this enthusiastic group.  While I won't be leading the elementary chapel band next year, I'm looking forward to teaching the chapel band elective at the middle school.  Who knows, maybe we'll take another trip to the recording studio next year!


"Sing to the Lord, all the earth; proclaim His salvation day after day.  Declare His glory among the nations, His marvelous deeds among all peoples."  1 Chronicles 16:23-24

No comments:

Post a Comment