Pages

Monday, May 28, 2012

My Rock of Refuge

'Tis the season for multiple blog posts in one week...

Change is all around me.  I'm working on end-of-the-year report card comments.  We had our last small group gathering yesterday, where one of the girls shared that she will be moving to America next week.  One of my roommates moved boxes of her stuff to her new place this morning, and furniture is being rearranged in our apartment.  This week will hold awards ceremonies, class celebrations, closing chapels, and of course, graduation.  Indeed, change is all around me.

There's a strange feeling in my heart at this time of the BFA year.  It's an undercurrent of chaos, a tinge of insecurity.  Things won't be the same again.

It's not surprising that the devotion I read in Jesus Calling a few days ago pertained directly to these feelings:  "In a world of unrelenting changes, I am the One who never changes.  I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.  Find in Me the stability for which you have yearned.  I created a beautifully ordered world: one that reflected My perfection.  Now, however, the world is under the bondage of sin and evil.  Every person on the planet faces gaping jaws of uncertainty.  The only antidote to this poisonous threat is drawing closer to me.  In My presence, you can face uncertainty with perfect peace."

At a ceremony this weekend, the middle school principal made these three statements:  Change is inevitable.  Growth is intentional.  God is immutable.  You can't avoid change, especially at BFA and especially at the end of the school year.  People come and go.  Classes come and go.  Having said goodbyes before somehow does not make it any easier to do so again.  But, how I choose to respond and where I place my trust is what really matters.

Praise God, I can rest on the sure foundation of the Rock!   "Be my Rock of refuge, to which I can always go; give the command to save me, for You are my Rock and my Fortress."  Psalm 71:3



1 comment: