Pages

Sunday, March 13, 2011

A Rockin' Good Time!

On Friday I took my seven 4th graders on an afternoon field trip!

First stop:  Miss Brown's Apartment!
Thanks to parent volunteers, we made the quick trip to my apartment for lunch and several activities.  It was cool having my class in my home -- like two different worlds colliding!  I surprised the kids by playing "Blessed Be Your Name" on the guitar, and they all gave me a sticker for my guitar learning sticker chart. :)  After that, we did a logic puzzle about rocks, read a story about a rock collection, and then looked around my yard for different types of stones.  Soon enough, it was time to head to our next destination!






Second stop:  Rock Shop!
We ran down the 100+ steps from our street to the next one down the hill, where the rock shop is located.  The kids (and I!) were amazed at the many crystals and fossils located inside the apartment.  After an informative presentation, the students were able to pick out some rocks for purchase at a really reasonable price.




Last stop:  Back to school!
Back in our classroom, the students shared their rocks with one another.  Their teacher was exhausted, but it had been a great afternoon of fun, learning, and adventure!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Heather, if I had a 4th grader living anywhere even NEAR BFA, I'd go so far as to bribe (if necessary) to have my child in YOUR classroom. What an exciting, yet challenging year from your students. That school is never going to let you go!
    Proverbs says "a wise teacher makes learning a joy" ~ That's you, for sure!!

    ReplyDelete