Pages

Thursday, August 5, 2010

One Week Down!

As of today, I have officially been in Germany for one week!  In some ways, it seems like a lot longer than that -- I have seen and done so much, met new people, and tried new things.  However, time is definitely flying by as I count down the days until the first day of school on August 24!

Highlights from today:

-- Finalized insurance.  I am very thankful that our German language teacher allowed me to miss class today to go to the insurance agency.  The lady there is leaving for vacation this weekend, and she is only open in the morning some days.  I was able to catch her right at the beginning of the day before she (and I) got too busy.  So, now I can officially drive my car!

-- Went to a local cafe with the new staff.  As an outing with our German language class today, we all walked to the cafe/bakery in town to "practice" ordering food and drinks auf Deutsch.  The food and drinks were delicious!  It was also really great to have some low-key socializing time with the other new staff members outside of the context of language class.

-- Visited Sitzenkirch.  I had been to the elementary school back in March, but this trip allowed me to really visualize where I am going to be and which classrooms might be mine.  The Discovery (special needs) teacher took me there, gave me a tour, and explained a little bit about the Discovery program.  I am looking forward to meeting with her again before the beginning of school for specific strategies for some of my students.


-- Drove my car for the first time.  I was SO nervous to drive... a new car (to me), a new type of car (stick!), a new country, and new roads!  It took a few tries to get it out of the BFA parking lot... but once I did, everything went ok after that!  I was so thankful for Brittany, who was an amazing copilot -- encouraging, patient, and calm.  Yes, that is exactly what I needed today!  She tells me I did a great job even though I stalled... is it okay to believe the lies to improve my confidence? :)

-- Made a stir fry over rice.  Cooking with Brittany has been a great time of bonding as we decide what to make, go through all of the steps to prepare it, and then enjoy the meal together.  Tonight I cut veggies and put them in the stir fry pan, while Brittany cooked the rice.  Teamwork!


-- Strolled through the forest.  One of our neighbors (another BFA missionary) took Brittany and me on a short walk through the forest behind our neighborhood.  Our stroll ended with a beautiful view of the sunset!


It's the end of a long, productive day.  Who knows what the weekend will hold?!  Thanks, Lord, for going before me in each new day!

2 comments:

  1. You're doing great Heather! I applaud you for all you have persevered through this week! One step at a time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather! It is so exciting to read about your adventures! Best wishes with learning the language and customs! I will be joining you on the other side of the pond shortly! God Bless!

    ReplyDelete