Pages

Wednesday, November 22, 2017

A Day in the Life

There's no "typical day" around here, but yesterday was a full day (yes, this was a real day, but I'll spare you some of the details) that highlights many aspects of what I do as Associate Director of Mobilization!  Step into my "office," also known as my dining room table...


7:45 a.m.  I check email, responding to several with partner schools in another time zone who are more than halfway through the work day!  My inbox often has several new web inquiries, which I distribute to other mobilization team members based on geographic location, overseas interest, and demographics.  I generate a personality survey report for an applicant who is in process, excited to see that she is moving forward.  I don't usually start my day this early, but having a flexible schedule is one perk of this job!

9:30 a.m.  After a quick breakfast, I call the missions administrator at a church in Tennessee, and we chat about the Church Endorsement form that one of my applicants has asked her to complete.  It's fascinating to hear about the church's missions department, which includes two missions committees for local and global outreach.  As we hang up, I pray for the applicants, asking God to guide their process of discernment and preparation.

10:00 a.m.  Every Tuesday, I meet with my two supervisees to hear how things are going, from specific candidate questions to recruitment planning to big-picture brainstorming.  The first of the day is with Christy, who began serving in mobilization last year.  I always enjoy bouncing ideas off of Christy and hearing her insights and suggestions!

10:36 a.m.  I scan my inbox, where I discover an email from an applicant I haven't heard from in a while.  It's great to know that she is ready to move forward and schedule an interview!  I also see something about initial plans for Urbana 2018.  It's hard to believe that it's already time to begin preparing to recruit at Urbana again!

10:52 a.m.  Time to make a cup of coffee before the next meeting!


11:00 a.m.  Bev and I begin our conversation by chatting about Thanksgiving plans, followed by some questions about applicants and upcoming recruiting events.  Bev just began with the mobilization team this fall, so it's particularly exciting to see that she has several active applicants right now!

11:42 a.m.  With an afternoon full of meetings ahead of me, I assemble lunch and settle back into my spot at the dining room table.

12:00 p.m.  I join the Candidate Processing Committee meeting, which opens with sharing prayer requests.  We pray for one another, our members around the world, and the applicants we are considering.  I don't have anyone to present today, but I'm excited to have 15 active applicants who will be presented to this committee in the coming months.  My colleagues share the stories of their applicants, we ask questions, and we vote to accept several new candidates today.

2:30 p.m.   It's time to FaceTime friends in Germany to talk about TeachBeyond's Instagram!  I began managing the account last month, and the Turners kicked off an every-other-week "takeover" rotation.  Today we exchange ideas and feedback, and briefly preview the plan for the next month.  I have loved learning the world of Instagram marketing and collaborating with members around the world to share #teachbeyondlife!  Be sure to follow @teachbeyond to see for yourself!


3:20 p.m.  My supervisor and I typically connect on Tuesday afternoons, often even if one of us is on the road.  Today we are both working from home, but with the full lineup of meetings and long list of to-dos before Thanksgiving, we're keeping our conversation relatively short today.  I pull up my running list of topics to discuss, and we work our way through a few this afternoon.

4:11 p.m.  One meeting has led right into another, and it's time to jump on a call with a college senior who found out about TeachBeyond at a recent event in Michigan.  She's interested in one of our schools in Bolivia, and I conclude the call with the promise to send her the full-time application.

5:23 p.m.  Questions arise about the developments with a specific project, so I dialogue with a colleague in Canada about the details.

6:30 p.m.  That's a wrap!  This was a longer day than most, but I'm grateful for the many conversations I've been able to have.  There is always more that could be done, but I have learned that it's important to define clear boundaries when working from home.  I strive to be faithful in my work - and trust the Lord to multiply my efforts and bring just the right people to serve overseas with TeachBeyond!

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward.  It is the Lord Christ you are serving." Colossians 3:23-24

No comments:

Post a Comment