Pages

Thursday, October 26, 2017

Reconnecting & New Vision

It's been over two years since I left Germany, my home for five formative years, to return to the States.  Two years of helping to send new staff to that "other home."  Two years, fast-forwarding all of my former students into high school.  (My first class of fourth graders are juniors... what?!)

Two years sometimes feels like a lifetime ago, and stepping back into that world last month was like stumbling into a dream.  A strangely familiar, wonderfully welcoming dream world.


By far, the highlight of my trip was reconnecting.  It was a joy to spend hours in conversation with dear friends, to hear a delighted "Miss Brown!" while walking around the familiar campus of BFA, to put my German to use at the local festivals.  Exploring new places and revisiting favorite ones.  These were God-ordained moments: reunions that I never could have orchestrated so perfectly, clearly pointing to the Giver of every good gift (Matthew 7:11, James 1:17).

Dinner with my mentor and her family

Some of my former students, now high schoolers!


A trip to Kandern isn't complete without visiting the Eis Cafe... multiple times!

I met this special family in the TeachBeyond orientation youth program in 2014.

It was great to catch up with Lizzy, an RA at BFA, whom I hadn't seen since orientation 2016!

I loved sharing Basel with these two, who are now serving in Germany and the UK.

Reconnecting didn't only happen at BFA!  I love that my current role has tethered me to a network of amazing educators serving with TeachBeyond around the world.  Just as we had experienced in Asia last fall, it was informative and encouraging to hear stories from colleagues in Hungary, Spain, and the Czech Republic as we shared excursions, meals, and meetings.



 


And so, I return with new vision.  As I set up my display table on college campuses and sit in the offices of missions pastors, these images come to mind.  Replays of school tours and city explorations.  Team meetings filled with laughter, as well as heartfelt prayers for one another.  The faces of the ones He has called to those places for this time.  Those school names are no longer just words on a page, but beautiful communities of willing servants and growing learners.

I wonder, Who's next?  Who else will join them as teachers, administrators, residence life staff?  I can't wait to see how He answers through the obedient yeses of His people!

(Want to see more? Watch our trip video here!)




 

No comments:

Post a Comment