Pages

Thursday, August 31, 2017

Catching Up

It's been four months since I last posted.  WOW.  Here's a summer update in maps, pictures, and highlights!

Destinations: My brother's wedding & TeachBeyond New Staff Orientation 
Distance: 1,233 miles
Highlights: What a joy to celebrate the marriage of Dave and Kirsten!  It was also fun to meet some of their closest friends and spend time with my extended family.  The drive from there to Wheaton College was just under six hours, which was a good built-in transition time from sister/bridesmaid to "work mode."  Orientation is a full and exhausting week, but also an overwhelmingly fulfilling opportunity to see the fruit of a year of recruiting, emailing, and preparing the next wave of TeachBeyond members.  I'm thrilled that all of the girls pictured in the photo above (my candidates) are now on the field, beginning the school year in their various countries of service!

Destinations: BFA friends in Ohio and Kentucky & a few days in Nashville for fun
Distance: 1,176 miles
Highlights: You can take us out of Germany, but you can't take the BFA family out of us!  It is always special to reconnect with dear friends from my time in Germany.  Whether exploring new cities together or gathering around the table for a good meal, it is a joy to hear how the Lord continues to work through these friends in their current cities in this season.

Destinations: Grandmom's Celebration of Life 
Distance: 634 miles
Highlights: Although we miss Grandmom, we celebrate her life and are grateful to know that she is now with Jesus.  It was special to have time together as a family for the weekend.

Destinations: New Wilmington Mission Conference
Distance: 135 miles
Highlights: I was honored to be on Mission Staff for the week, which meant sharing my story and the work of TeachBeyond with all different groups - ranging from five-year-olds sitting on the floor around a felt map to a lecture hall filled with adults!  The best part of the week was seeing hundreds of believers of all different ages worshipping the Lord, learning more about missions, and becoming more deeply engaged in God's work around the world.

Destinations: Bridal shower for a college friend & Grace Point Missions Sunday
Distance: 759 miles
Highlights: Seeing college friends, throwing a travel-themed party, meeting someone who teaches at a TeachBeyond partner school, and spending a Sunday with my sending church... a great weekend and well worth the trip!  The focus for Missions Sunday was "life lessons."  I shared that God has shown me that it is His work, not mine, to draw others to serve overseas.  It is so freeing to approach my role as partnering with what the Spirit is already doing people's hearts!  (You can read more reflections on my role here.)

After many miles of driving this summer, I enjoyed most of August in Pittsburgh!  It was refreshing to sleep in my own bed, spend time with friends, host people in my home, serve on worship team at my local church, and experience several local festivals in the city.  As I prepare to head out on one of my longest trips yet, I'm thankful for these weeks of reconnection in my current home base!

No comments:

Post a Comment