Pages

Friday, December 15, 2017

Seasons

I first heard the song "Seasons" back in October when Hillsong Worship's newest Christmas album released.  It felt too early to be listening to Christmas music, but the truths of its lyrics reverberated in my mind and soul.

"If all I know of harvest
Is that it's worth my patience
Then if You're not done working
God, I'm not done waiting"


Now this song seems to be popping up everywhere - my Facebook feed, last week's church service, numerous conversations with friends.  The lyrics declare the goodness of God amidst our unmet expectations, long-awaited outcomes, and unspoken hopes.  Whether we feel the weight of waiting right now or can clearly see evidence of fruit, He is the God of the rhythmic seasons - faithfully present in our patience.

"And when I finally see my tree
Still I believe there's a season to come"


My work with mobilization sometimes feels like burying a seed and wondering if it will ever peek through the frosty flowerbed.  I question whether dormant emails will yield future missionaries.  I'm sure you can relate: What are you wishing for, pondering, longing to see this Christmas?  Deep down, we know that this wintry waiting isn't so much about the answers, but the trust it blossoms within us.

"For all I know of seasons
Is that You take Your time

You could have saved us in a second
Instead You sent a child"


In the stillness of winter, may we know the nearness of our eternal God, El Olam (Gen. 21:33),
Who is not bound by the human concept of time,
Who sent His Son at just the right moment (Ro. 5:6, Gal. 4:4) and is still active today,
and Who intimately knows our winters and our harvests.

"Though the winter is long
Even richer the harvest it brings"

No comments:

Post a Comment