Pages

Thursday, August 20, 2015

#tbt Week 8: A Weekend Away

As I embrace this season of transition, I am taking time to reflect on many memories with special people in meaningful places.  It is neat to visibly see changes over time, knowing that God has been transforming us through the experiences of the past five years.

Each Thursday this summer will be devoted to a #tbt (Throwback Thursday) post, highlighting various "then and now" comparisons.  Enjoy!



#tbt Week 8: A Weekend Away

Last weekend was an entire "throwback" weekend!  The parents of one of my close college friends invited a group of us to stay in their pre-Civil War farmhouse in rural Virginia for a few days, and we welcomed this opportunity for refreshment and reconnection.



What a gift it was to be together again!  It was fun to not only recall memories from our college days, but also create new memories together.

Just before graduation, June 2010

Making new memories, August 2015

The weekend was tinted with a bittersweetness, as our dear friend Erica, who passed away in a car accident on Good Friday, had been so very excited for this reunion.  The Lord was gracious as we had the opportunity to remember Erica's devotion to Christ and passionate service to Him.  Although we miss Erica, we are inspired to live intentionally, love deeply, and give generously.

To these friends - and the many others reading this blog and following my journey - I don't take your friendship for granted!  I see Jesus refining you and using you as lights in a dark world (Phil. 2:15-16).  I see your daily dependence on Him for health, financial provision, joy, and energy.  I see your desire to glorify God in decision-making.  You, friends, encourage me to run this race with perseverance (Hebrews 12:1-2).


It's nothing new, but I feel it more now than ever before:  I'm grateful to Jesus for the gift of connection across time zones and miles.  


How do you balance remembering the past and making new memories?
How have your friendships shaped who you are today?

No comments:

Post a Comment