Pages

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Blessings in Budapest

Somehow it seems more challenging to sit and focus and type these days.

Maybe it's the chaos of transition that already seems to swirl around me.  I'm living in two worlds - leaving and arriving, excitement and dread, known and unknown.

Or, maybe it's the wave of grief as my college friends and I mourn the tragic death of our dear friend, Erica, on Good Friday.  Sometimes it's in the forefront of my thoughts - as I look through old photos and read friends' emails full of memories - while other times, it's just lingering in the back of my mind.  I'm so grateful for the ways that Jesus has provided just what I have needed, even when I didn't know what to ask Him for.

One of those precious provisions was a life-giving trip to Hungary last week.  Just two days after learning of Erica's death, I found myself boarding a plane to Budapest.  I knew little of my plans for the week, but I felt a peace in the unknown, the Spirit's whisper reminding me of His promises.

The primary purpose for my visit to Budapest was to see the International Christian School of Budapest, one of TeachBeyond's partner schools.  I will be a TeachBeyond recruiter next year (more on that coming soon!), so I was excited to have this opportunity to experience another school.  I thoroughly enjoyed meeting the staff and students at ICSB.


Another blessing of this trip was the opportunity to reconnect with people I'd met in the past.  The first reconnection happened in the form of a surprise lunch visit during my day at ICSB.  This middle schooler had been a part of my TeachBeyond orientation group of "ten girls" this past summer, and it was a joy to see her again!  She introduced me to her classmates and gave me a tour of the middle school floor.  (I felt right at home!)  Dinner with their family was also a treat as we talked about transition and community and leadership.


The next day (after exploring Budapest on my own!), I met up with Erin, who is a friend of a friend (and now my friend!).  We met at my college friend's bridal shower a few years ago and have remained in touch since then via Instagram and periodic e-mail updates.  Erin and her husband teach at a school outside of Budapest, so we share some common experiences with teaching overseas.  Two hours easily passed, and there was so much more we could have said!  I'm grateful for God's presence in our conversation and His faithfulness evident in our stories of overseas service.


I knew I wanted to tour ICSB, see this middle school student and her family, explore the city, and meet up with Erin.  God orchestrated the schedule for all of that to happen!

What I didn't know was how He would work in the in-between moments at the house where I was staying.  My good friend at BFA was visiting her relatives in Budapest, so I was also able to stay with them for my brief Hungarian adventure.  I was overwhelmed by the ways that Jesus showed me His care and provision through these generous hosts.  They lovingly asked about what Erica had been like and listened as I contemplated heaven.  They invited me into intentional conversation around the dinner table and treated me as part of the family in their daily routines.  Their authentic faith in Christ inspired me to want to grow and know Him more (Hebrews 10:24).

I wasn't the only one who benefited from this family's gracious hospitality.  They were hosting eight overnight guests - no big deal! - including four of their daughter's friends from Capernwray Bible School.  I thoroughly enjoyed the conversations with these young women as we toured the area and relaxed in the living room at our home away from home.  It was clear that this, too, was part of God's plan for my week in Hungary.


Although blogging through the fog of transition and grief is challenging, it's worth it.  God is good, no matter what my circumstances, and I want to have my eyes wide open to praise Him for His provision.  Like unexpected blessings in Budapest.

No comments:

Post a Comment