Pages

Monday, October 14, 2013

OCC Kick-Off!

"It's the most wonderful time of the year!" echoed through the halls of BFA middle school on Friday.  Even I might agree that this is a little early for Christmas music were it not for the kick-off to Operation Christmas Child!

I truly feel that OCC time is one of the most wonderful times of the year here at BFA.  It is a joy to share with the staff and students about this project and to work with student leaders and various community members to bring the joy of Jesus to children in need.  This year, about 15 middle school students are on four planning committees (publicity, packing party, box checking, and community liaisons) to help with all aspects of the project.

On Friday, I traveled to the elementary school campus to share in chapel about OCC.  Many of the students recognized me and immediately associated my visit with the project!  (I guess I've established a reputation for myself...)  Before talking about purchasing items and packing shoeboxes, however, I introduced a word of the day: generosity.  We talked about how God wants us to be generous in many ways, not just with our money or stuff.  I proposed that we can't be generous and selfish at the same time.  We might be willing to give while still harboring selfish thoughts, but we can't truly live abundantly generous lives when we are obsessed with ourselves.  (Convicting for me, too!)

Later in the day, I gave a similar message at the middle school, elaborating on the idea of generosity.  Together we attempted to define generosity:


Of course, I also shared about the details of the project, which are quite familiar to some of our students.  As I held up various items, the students had to point to the shoebox (yes, the item can go in the box) or the shopping bag (no, it cannot be packed).  Their excitement about giving to others and caring for children around the world is an inspiration to me!



As I lead this project, I am reminded that Jesus is the ultimate example of generosity: "For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life as a ransom for many" (Mark 10:45).  Through His very blood, Jesus gave us what we could not earn: forgiveness and the restoration of relationship with our Heavenly Father with the promise of eternity with Him!  How can we not overflow with generosity to others when we have been given so much?!

No comments:

Post a Comment