Pages

Friday, July 20, 2012

Familiar Faces

Among the sea of 250 kids attending the Vacation Bible School (VBS) at my home church this week, I was looking for familiar faces.  With the combination of my time away from the church and the large amount of VBS visitors, there weren't too many kids I recognized.  But what a joy to see their smiling faces and hear their excited conversations: "Mom!  Tomorrow I need a bathing suit!  And a towel!  Oh, Mom, look at my craft!"

Funny, I caught myself looking for some specific faces in that VBS crowd.  Ones that I knew I wouldn't see in Pennsylvania, but whom I naturally searched to find.  The faces of BFA.

As I served VBS snacks this week, I especially took note of the 5th and 6th grade classes.  I half expected to see my students from this past year sipping lemonade next to our 5th graders.  I could almost hear their voices engaged in conversation with the kids of Grace Point.  And I thought of my future students as I saw the 6th graders taking their brownie bites and popcorn balls and ice cream sandwiches, imagining myself as their teacher in just over one month.

"Christmas in the Son" was the theme for the week, with candy canes adorning the halls and Christmas carols playing throughout the morning.  But my favorite part was the collection of Operation Christmas Child boxes, which of course reminded me of my fourth grade class!  I was so proud of their ownership of the BFA collection this past fall, and it was great to see kids involved in this process again.

It has been wonderful seeing so many kids at VBS this week.  And I'm looking forward to seeing those BFA faces again in a few weeks!

The sea of faces at VBS!

No comments:

Post a Comment