Pages

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

43 Boxes!

Operation Christmas Child has definitely been a highlight for my fourth graders this fall!  They were thrilled to have a bigger role in organizing the annual box collection, as each student in my class took on a specific job for the duration of the project.

During one class period, each student got an empty shoebox to pack full of donations that had been given to us.  (Most of our collection was individual donations, rather than completed shoeboxes.)  I had set up labeled "stations" around the classroom with school supplies, stuffed animals, hygiene items, gender-specific toys, and other objects.  The students visited each of these stations to be sure that they included all of the necessary items in their boxes.



Two of the students were designated "box checkers" for the project.  As we received completed boxes or as we packed boxes together in class, these students completed a checklist of required items and signed their names at the bottom of the sheet.  This was one of my favorite parts of the process... and I think they enjoyed it, too!


As an elementary school, we filled a total of 43 boxes!



Today, the final day of the Operation Christmas Child project, my students gathered around the boxes to pray for their recipients.  We brainstormed specific ways to pray -- most importantly, for the children to know God's love -- and then took time to pray quietly for individual boxes.  It was so neat to see the fourth graders take even more ownership of this project by dedicating it to God.


I took one student whose job was "box collector" with me to the grocery store (our nearby collection site) this afternoon to drop off all of our boxes.  They gave us a cart since we had so many boxes!


I am blessed by the generosity of all of the families who participated.  I'm inspired by the passionate involvement of the students.  I praise God for His work around the world through this ministry!

No comments:

Post a Comment