Pages

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Thoughts from "Forgotten God"

While reading over the chapter of Forgotten God that I'll be studying with my small group tonight, several passages really spoke to me.  This is my heart in serving here at Black Forest Academy -- because I believe that God has called me here to be taken out of my comfort zone, to take risks for Him, to impact lives, to love unconditionally.  I pray that these words are a challenge to you, too:

"It is true that God may have called you to be exactly where you are.  But it's absolutely vital to grasp that He didn't call you there so you could settle in and live out your life in comfort and superficial peace.  His purposes are not random or arbitrary.  If you are still alive on this planet, it's because He has something for you to do."

"The Spirit is meant to lead us toward holiness.  The Spirit is here with us to accomplish God's purposes, not ours.  When you decide to put to death -- to crucify -- your flesh, you are by default choosing the way of the Spirit."

"Like our Savior, who poured out His life and blood so we have reason to rejoice, we were made to lay down our lives and give until it hurts.  We are most alive when we are loving and actively giving of ourselves because we were made to do these things.  It is when we live like this that the Spirit of God moves and acts in and through us in ways that on our own we are not capable of.  This is our purpose for living.  This is our hope. 'And hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us' (Romans 5:5)."

Like I said, good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment