Pages

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Clinging to a New Lesson

Last year around this time, I blogged about my extensive list of New Year's Resolutions for 2011... and how they disappeared with one accidental click of the "delete" button on my ipod!  (Read the post here.)  In just a moment, my "perfectly crafted" goals for the year were gone.  And I realized that the best attitude for the new year was not that of deliberate planning, but rather complete surrender.

I began this year with a stomach bug.  On January 1, I flew to Scotland with my roommate for a week away.  Within hours we were both laying in bed, feeling miserable.  When we weren't feeling better by the next day, we had to rearrange our schedule for the week, figure out what attractions we would skip, and pray for good health for the rest of the trip!

While we were at the hotel recovering, I realized that God was using this miserable experience to give me a  new lesson to cling to this year:  It's important to stop, to rest, to slow down... and to cling to Christ in utter dependence.  My sickness prevented me from doing anything else, but I want to choose to consistently show my commitment to God, regardless of my circumstances.

May we slow down enough this year to hear God's voice, focus our hearts on Him, and rely on His strength with every breath.  Blessings to you in 2012!

2 comments:

  1. As I was learning the same lesson (in the same way) at the same time, I am humbled that God has such obvious ways to cause us to depend on Him and to slow the pace down.

    ReplyDelete