Pages

Friday, January 27, 2012

Encourage One Another

On Wednesday, my roommate and I combined our small groups to talk about encouragement.  We looked at several Bible verses about the topic, then took some time to make cards (our girls like to be creative!) and write encouraging notes to friends, family members, and/or people in the community.  With colored paper, fancy scissors, and recycled magazines strewn over the floor, we put into practice what we had just read that God commands us to do.

I was also able to share these verses and thoughts with the elementary teaching staff and 4th grade students.  What a good lesson to teach over and over again to remind me of the importance of encouragement!


There have been many people in my life who have encouraged me -- to achieve, to dream, to love, to live for Christ.  I pray that you can identify many people who have made a difference in your own life at pivotal points, too.  But, who is our greatest encourager?  The Lord!  "You, Lord, hear the desire of the afflicted; You encourage them, and You listen to their cry" (Psalm 10:17).

In addition to using the words of others, God can encourage me through the truth of His Word, the promise of salvation, and the hope of His return (1 Thessalonians 4:17-18).

God calls us to be encouragers, too, even when it isn't easy:  "Finally, brothers and sisters, rejoice!  Strive for full restoration, encourage one another, be of one mind, live in peace.  And the God of love and peace will be with you" (2 Corinthians 13:11).  In the midst of conflict with friends, frustration in the classroom, or disagreements with others, I am called to seek unity and peace... and to encourage.

If I want to encourage someone with whom I've had conflict in the past, I can't just try really hard to say something nice.  My own effort to encourage will not succeed with God's love transforming my life.  To encourage someone means deliberately changing not only the words I say, but also the attitude of my heart.  God, transform my heart so that I can sincerely encourage others with Your truth.


I pray that you are encouraged by all that God is doing in and through you... and that you can encourage others with your words, actions, and attitudes in this day.  Thank you for being a huge encouragement in my life!

"Therefore, encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing" (1 Thessalonians 5:11).

No comments:

Post a Comment