Pages

Friday, November 19, 2010

Not Normal... A Special Place!

The uniqueness of this place hit me again today.  I mean, I know that BFA is a special place, but some days it is just magnified a little more than others...

This afternoon the music teacher was going over a choir song with the third and fourth graders in my classroom.  I often do work at my desk in the room while she teaches, so it's fun to hear what the children are practicing.  One song they are learning is in several different languages.  At a "typical" school, the teacher might give students a pronunciation guide or ask a guest to model the correct pronunciation.

But BFA isn't your typical school.  The third and fourth graders can speak German, French, Swiss German, Bengali, Swahili... that's not normal.

My students amaze me.  They have seen and done so much in their nine or ten years that I haven't in my twenty-two!  Sure, they break the rules and make excuses and get hurt and argue just like other kids.  But their life experiences are certainly not normal.

Life here in Germany isn't normal.  But hey, neither am I!  :)  I praise God for this special place -- a place of diversity in languages, but unity in Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment