Pages

Friday, September 10, 2010

Roller Coaster Ride!

Hang on!  Every day seems like a roller coaster ride!

Each morning I greet my students at "porch time" on the front steps of the school.  From that spot, the green hills with grazing cows touch a radiant blue sky.  I greet the children with a smile, and we walk through the entrance to the school.  Almost immediately, there is a crisis because someone  forgot his folder at home and another student dropped her lunchbox.  The adventures of the day have begun!

"Did you have a good day at school?" my roommates often ask at the end of a long day.  How quickly I answer with a story about my frustration at what we weren't able to accomplish, the students who got on my nerves, and the lesson that didn't go as planned.

Today, a colleague shared an article with me about the ups and downs of teaching.  These roller coaster rides of emotion aren't just from year to year or even class to class, but moment to moment.  As a teacher, I am emotionally engaged in trying to help my students grasp the material, wondering how much they understand and whether they even care.

Although there are undoubtedly moments when I struggle to find a connection with students who are disrespectful, apathetic, or distracted... I can trust in the Almighty God who never changes, who uses my weaknesses for His glory.  

There have been so many moments of joy here in Germany!  It is good to give thanks to the Lord and bring praise to His Name...
-- Successfully greeting the grocery store cashier auf Deutsch
-- Praying with other elementary school staff members
-- Laughing a LOT with my roommates!
-- Going on a good jog early in the morning, while the sun is just rising
-- Skype, blog comments, and emails from back home
-- Meeting my students' families and knowing that they are praying for me
-- Picking wild blackberries just down the road to put on my cereal
-- Looking around the classroom to see walls covered in student work
-- Traveling to the Alps, just for the afternoon
-- Meeting the five high school freshmen in my small group! (more about that coming soon...)
-- Hearing a parent tell me that I am his son's "favorite teacher ever"

These moments are reminders of God's provision and His faithfulness.  And so I keep hanging on.  Because I know that this is not just the ride of my life, but the one He has prepared for me.



1 comment:

  1. OK, that has to be one of my favorite panoramic photos of this year--I'm guessing it was taken at Interlachen, Switzerland. Maybe God has placed you in such a beautiful place (the Black Forest and its surroundings) so that you can be reminded of His creative nature, His loving presence, and His constant provision. Kind of like what a teacher does for her class every moment of every day.

    ReplyDelete