Pages

Friday, October 7, 2016

Grandma's Words of Wisdom

It's been three weeks since my grandma went to be with Jesus.

Grandma was - and will continue to be - an inspirational role model to me.  She was a woman of fervent prayer and deep trust in the Lord.  Grandma taught for almost thirty years, so it's no surprise that my mom, two of my cousins, and I have each had classrooms of our own!  I see so much of myself in Grandma: eagerly welcoming newcomers, enthusiastically hosting friends, optimistically embracing life as an adventure, and brimming with stories to tell.

Home video from January 1994 / Family vacation in Florida

October 2015 / Family gathered to remember and celebrate Grandma's life

My grandmother was a woman of many words of wisdom.  (Or, as she would probably say with a laugh, "a woman of many words"!)  Along with other members of the family, I had the opportunity to speak at Grandma's Life Celebration last weekend, so I decided to share excerpts from Grandma's emails over the years.  I'm sure she wouldn't mind me sharing these with you, as well.

Grandma's Words of Wisdom

God is love, and is in love with each of us.  Take time frequently to share this love.  Obedience to God's commands is the way we show Him our love. 

He commands us to be encouragers.  Don't let the busy pace of your daily responsibilities interfere with opportunities to be an encourager.  Let people know you recognize their kindnesses. It’s fun to be an encourager!

Our awareness of the Lord's leading and His provisions makes Him smile when He sees how we lean upon Him for strength and guidance. 

Sometimes when things do not go according to our plans, we are amazed at how God's provision for the day is even better than we'd dreamed.  Who said seniors are inflexible?  It's only our joints!

Sometimes God uses us as PART of the process, not its completion.  Following His lead is our only responsibility.  Our daily request should be that God will show us anyone we can encourage or help, that we will not pass up any opportunity.  

One tiny caution: get your rest, take care of a minor sore throat, for good health is the backbone of productive activity.

In all uncomfortable situations, I try – magic word: try – to see a benefit.  Though it may be small, finding it gives me the peace He promised.

In happy moments, praise God
In difficult moments, seek God
In quiet moments, worship God
In painful moments, trust God
In every moment, thank God.   
He loves to hear your voice.

This may be a year of political and economic turmoil, but we can trust in God's Word to strengthen, encourage, and guide us throughout.

God is always confirming His will.  Sometimes I find myself rushing ahead of Him, not listening closely enough, not quietly waiting, but He is there!  

Take advantage of every opportunity to see the world.  Life’s journey is a wonderful adventure.  Hold tightly to the realization that no step is unknown to the One who has created and loves you. 

Only one life to live, soon to be past.  Only what’s done for Christ will last.  Finish well, for many arms wait to hug you…. Mine included.

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.  In all your ways, acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight."  Proverbs 3:5-6


A sticky note I found in Grandma's Bible

No comments:

Post a Comment