Pages

Friday, July 17, 2015

#tbt Week 4: Home Away from Home

As I embrace this season of transition, I am taking time to reflect on many memories with special people in meaningful places.  It is neat to visibly see changes over time, knowing that God has been transforming us through the experiences of the past five years.

Each Thursday this summer will be devoted to a #tbt (Throwback Thursday) post, highlighting various "then and now" comparisons.  Enjoy!


Home Away from Home:

Unlike many BFA students, it's easy for me to identify my hometown.  Besides my four years of college, I've lived in the same house since I was three, attended the same church my entire life, and still have many roots in my hometown.

Over the past five years, Kandern became my "home."  Yes, there were the furniture purchases and rent payments for my new house, but it was really new friendships and memorable explorations of the area that made it feel like home. 

One of my favorite walks in Kandern / August 2010

Same spot! / June 2015

Enjoying the gorgeous views / Fall 2010

Savoring final memories together in Kandern / June 2015

Having moved overseas and back again, "home" takes on a totally new meaning.  Wherever I am, I feel like part of me is left in the other place.  There is always something to miss about "there" while I am "here."  Along the way, wise friends have reminded me that this is a longing that can only be satisfied in Heaven, my true Home.

I resonate with the Bible characters described in Hebrews 11:  "They were foreigners and strangers on earth [...] They were longing for a better country - a heavenly one.  Therefore, God is not ashamed to be called their God, for He has prepared a city for them."

As I transition back into life in the States, I am anticipating another move to an entirely new place.  Again, I'll be purchasing furniture, paying rent, making friends, and getting to know the area.

But wherever I go on earth, I'm a foreigner.  This is not to discredit the value of my hometown or wherever I reside.  I deeply treasure the feeling of belonging that comes from walking down familiar streets.  But it does mean that, ultimately, the pangs of longing for another place are heavenly hurts.

We're strangers on this earth.  Let's live each moment in light of eternity.  

Where do you call "home"?
How is God calling you to live here in light of your true Home?

No comments:

Post a Comment