Pages

Sunday, August 5, 2012

The Marathon

My eyes were glued to the screen this afternoon as I watched the marathon racers cross the finish line one by one.  Some collapsed in utter exhaustion, while others enthusiastically waved to cheering fans.  I was intrigued by this race of longevity and perseverance.

Perhaps my recent experience with running has given me a greater appreciation for the Olympic races.  You may know that I participated in a 5K race in Philly this summer with several of my good college friends. I'm not really a "runner," but The Color Run isn't your normal race!  Anyone can participate, even non-runners like me.  (I think you'll understand from the picture below!)


But I was drawn to more than just the excitement of the marathon race itself.  I considered how I could relate to these competitors - not as an athlete, but as a teacher.

Looking ahead to the coming school year, I see not a sprint, but a marathon.  There's no option to quit at the 5K mark, but rather a commitment to finish the race.  This isn't a week of having fun at summer camp, but nine months of investing in lives.

While navigating the streets of London this afternoon, marathon runners endured rainy conditions, cramps, thirst... But they pressed on.  I could sense the discouragement and frustration in their faces, but they kept their eyes ahead, yearning for the finish line.  What pride in the sense of accomplishment when they crossed it!  Whether an Olympic record or a personal worst, they had finished the race.  My "finish line" seems far away, but my deepest desire is that I can say along with the apostle Paul, "I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.  Now there is in store for me a crown of righteousness..." (2 Timothy 4:7-8).


There is one significant difference between that marathon race and my job at BFA: teamwork.  Although some athletes in this race trained together and even kept the same pace during most the race, there was inevitably one gold medal winner.  I'm so thankful that I'm not alone in the BFA marathon, with Christ as the ultimate Sustainer, colleagues as co-collaborators, and supporters as our greatest fans.  When someone's pace slows, we'll link arms and keep running toward the finish line together.  And we'll strain our ears to hear your voices in the crowd, cheering us on!

In First Corinthians 9, Paul writes, "Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize?  Run in such a way as to get the prize."  I'm itching at the starting line, greatly anticipating all that God will do at BFA this school year!  Let's go for the gold.  Together and for His glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment