Pages

Saturday, June 16, 2012

Culture Shock Moments!

I've mentioned before how odd it feels to experience culture shock when returning to America.  Since being back in Pennsylvania for a week, I've noticed that...

... Computer paper looks so short!  In Europe, we have A4 paper, which is 11.7 inches instead of 11 inches long.

... Neighborhood streets seem so wide!  Sure, we have highways in Germany.  (I'm sure you've heard of the Autobahn...)  However, streets in the town where I live are notoriously narrow.  In fact, it's completely normal for everyone to go up onto the curb/sidewalk when pulling over or parking their cars.  I think I'd get strange looks if I pulled onto the curb here in PA!

... People here have an accent!  Somehow being away for 10 months has made the Philadelphia/New Jersey/New York accent seem a bit stronger this time.  And apparently I have a "European accent"?!  I'm not sure what that sounds like...

... Cars are so big!  It doesn't seem as easy to "zip around" when most people are driving SUVs and minivans.  (Not to be confused with 15-passenger dorm vans, which are a common sight at BFA.)

... I can use cruise control!  Adjusting back to driving an automatic car wasn't as challenging as I thought it would be, and I am loving using cruise control again!  Better make use of it while I can this summer.

... I don't stand out when I'm speaking English in public!  When I hear an English conversation in Starbucks, I'm not guaranteed to know that person.  And I'd better be careful what I'm saying about that person just a few yards away from me on the beach.

... So many people look vaguely familiar!  Do I know them from high school?  Church?  College? ... Or do they just look like someone I know from BFA?!  (Okay, maybe this is a problem that comes with age, not culture shock!)

I'm thankful for the richness of experiencing life in different cultures!  Culture shock is worth it to stay connected to life here and life there.

1 comment:

  1. I experienced the same thing coming home from Germany! And was told I had a euro accent as well! LOL!

    ReplyDelete