Pages

Monday, April 16, 2012

Gearing Up Again...

This break has been wonderful -- some relaxation, some time spent with friends, some traveling, some serving in another country.  God has taught me a lot about myself, Himself, and who I am in Him.  Somehow school has felt like a distant dream...

Reality check.  I sat in my classroom a bit dazed this afternoon.  With a bad headache and a long to-do list, I prepared myself for an afternoon of getting the classroom ready for "the home stretch."  With only about 30 more days of class, the end is definitely in sight.  Whether that is thrilling or terrifying, I haven't decided yet!

Believe it or not, a new student is joining my class tomorrow for the remainder of the year.  She has had a discouraging experience in German school this year, so she is transitioning now to BFA to get on track for learning in English.  There will be a lot of firsts for her tomorrow and in the coming weeks -- English instruction, new teachers, new friends, new routines.  I'm praying that her first day tomorrow will be a positive experience and that the other fourth graders will welcome her warmly.

Tomorrow won't be easy.  And not just because of all of the changes in my classroom.  During our spring break, a well-loved BFA staff member passed away.  Although I did not know her very well, Mari Ellen has been extremely influential in the lives of countless staff and students during her 20+ years of service here in Germany.  She was BFA's only school counselor this year and also worked in Member Care with my sending organization, TeachBeyond.  Tomorrow evening, the BFA community will join together to remember Mari Ellen in a memorial service.  Please pray for God's peace as many are processing and grieving this loss.

It's hard to believe that the school year is nearly finished.  Rather than count down the days, I pray that I would make the most of every opportunity.  May we live each day to the fullest, glorifying God with every breath!

1 comment:

  1. Im still in total shock about Mari Ellen... I didn't realize how much I was relying on learning and gleaning as much as I could from her as I enter as a counselor... thank you for posting the link to her memorial page. Even though I'm WAY over here... I grieve her loss with the BFA community... She's leaving big shoes to fill. Also praying for your new student. Keep us posted! Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete