Pages

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Spinning Plates

"Keep the plates spinning!"  Have you ever seen someone spin plates on poles and try to keep them going without crashing to the floor?  As I was driving to school one day last week, a similar picture came to my mind.  The plates were spinning around me as I nervously awaited a crash.  Then, as if God were quietly whispering to my heart, I was reminded of the importance of surrender and trust in His control.

When I found a spare moment later in the day, I quickly sketched a bunch of spinning plates above arms raised in surrender.  On each of the plates, I wrote one of the responsibilities that I have right now... everything from leading chapel band to caring for my car.  Needless to say, there is a lot demanding my time, thought, and emotional energy.

"Is your plate too full?"  We've all had at least one of those my-eyes-are-bigger-than-my-stomach moments where we loaded up our plates and then couldn't finish it all.  I wonder if sometimes -- okay, often! -- we do this in ministry.  We say "yes" a few too many times, pursue a few too many passions concurrently, feel obligated to please a few too many people.

But sometimes, we are just in a place where we are stretched to realize our limitations.  One person just can't keep so many plates spinning or balance plates that are so full!  At that point, I think God would say to us: "YES!  You got it!  No one can do it alone!"  Perhaps it takes a whole array of plates for us to realize our limitations and utter dependance on God.

So, I'm convicted.  I absolutely feel called to each of the spinning plates in my life right now, but I know that I'm not called to spin them myself.  The "relationship with Christ" plate ought to be my first priority, the one that informs how full I pile the others.

I was able to share these ideas with my small group this week, and they each made their own plate diagrams.  There's something about writing it all down -- and then relinquishing it to Christ, asking Him to use each plate to bring glory to Himself!


"Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails."  (Proverbs 19:21)

2 comments:

  1. So true. So true. Thanks for the encouragement, challenge and insight, HJ. I love you!

    Mom XO
    (on Dad's account!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete