Pages

Sunday, May 1, 2011

"This Is Why We're Here!"

We sat on a couch in the cozy living room, a fire crackling and the final notes of "Lord, I Give You My Heart" fading away.  My roommate turned to me and said, "This is why we're here."

There are some moments I just know why I'm here.  Certain snapshots feel like freeze-frames of God's overarching plan.  Of course, every minute of every day is part of that plan, but I am especially thankful for the timely reminders that each moment counts for the Kingdom.

I'm here to teach.  On Wednesday, my students used toilet paper rolls as wood as they acted out the story of God lighting Elijah's altar (1 Kings 18:22-39).  We talked about God's amazing power demonstrated in this miraculous act.  For homework that night, the students wrote on toilet paper tubes as many examples of God's power as they could.  What an important reminder to me, as well as them, that our God has done great things... and continues to work powerfully in our world today!


I'm here to lead, to mentor, to just "be."  Although a surprise downpour had eliminated the possibility of a bonfire, we wouldn't pass up the opportunity to share our Friday night singing worship songs with some of the high school girls at Storch dorm.  My roommate played guitar, I sang, and the girls picked song after song from our stack of music.  What a blessing for Brittany and me to be able to share our love for music and our passion for Jesus with these girls whom we care about so much!  I couldn't have asked for a better way to spend Friday evening.



I'm here for relationships.  About a year ago, with college graduation quickly approaching, I asked God to provide a community in Germany.  How thankful I am for new friends!  While there have definitely been challenges this year, I give thanks for the friends God has provided.  On Saturday morning, I visited a friend who hadn't been feeling well.  We each shared briefly about what had happened in the past week and promised to pray for one another this week.  Thank You, Lord, for friends!

I'm here to empower and to equip.  Life doesn't stop here in Kandern, Germany.  Life continues as long-time staff members leave and new staff prepare to come.  Life continues as students graduate or move away.  This morning, students shared about their experiences on BFA student mission trips to 5 different countries: Burkina Faso, Uganda, Moldova, Slovenia, and China.  Life continues beyond the walls of BFA as students follow His call around the world!  I pray that my small impact on lives in this small town would be multiplied as God uses them for His purposes to the ends of the earth.

Most of all, I'm here to glorify God and love His people.  "If I give all I possess... but do not have love, I have nothing."  (1 Cor. 13:3)  May I choose to make each moment of every day count in light of eternity!

No comments:

Post a Comment