Pages

Thursday, July 31, 2014

Two Weeks and Many Miles

To Boston and Back.
As many of you know, I will be taking on a new role as Middle School Literacy Coach at BFA in addition to teaching English 6 again this year.  I'm excited for the opportunity to build our literacy program, work directly with students and staff, and continue to grow professionally... but also a little bit overwhelmed at the thought of all that entails!  I was SO glad to get to spend a week at Lesley University in Massachusetts studying about literacy coaching with some of the nation's top reading researchers.  I left the conference feeling much more equipped to do my job this year.

It was also great to connect with other literacy coaches and administrators from the Boston area, as well as various other locations further away.  I had my first real experience with attempting to share about Black Forest Academy and TeachBeyond without using buzzwords like "ministry," "God's leading," and "support raising."  As it came up in conversation, the other educators at the conference were baffled at the thought that an entire school could operate without paying any of its employees.  Beyond the obvious (yet unspoken) question of why I would choose a job like this, they wondered why anyone would give money for me to teach overseas.  I attempted to explain the concept of shared vision and generosity, finding it nearly impossible to convey God's supernatural work through an earthly lens.  I pray that they saw something different in me as we interacted - that the comparison would not come down to salary and continent, but to salvation and calling.


Westward Bound.
On Sunday I braved several severe thunderstorms to travel to the west side of the state for a visit with friends.  Although slowed a bit by the effects of a lingering cold, I was so grateful for the "many miles" covered in meaningful conversations with college staff and a mini reunion with friends.  I was again reminded of God's goodness during my time at Grove City and how He continues to bless me through the relationships formed while there!



On my return trip (in contrastingly beautiful weather!), I had a God-arranged visit with Jin, who was in my BFA high school small group for freshman and sophomore years.  For the past two years, Jin has been living with her parents in Hawaii (they serve there with YWAM), and she just so happens to be spending a few weeks in PA on her way up to NYU, where she will begin her freshman year of college this fall!  What a blessing to hear how the Lord has been working in her life since she left BFA and how to pray for the next steps ahead.


Many Miles Ahead!
It's hard to believe that I am heading back to Germany on Monday night!  As with every back and forth, I'll say a bittersweet goodbye to this place and the people I love so much - in order to say hello to another place and people I love.  Perhaps this year holds more hesitancy and even more bittersweetness than others as I consider what lies ahead.  LASTS.  Lots of them.  This year is my "last" year at BFA, at least for now, as I will be returning to the States indefinitely next summer.  There are plenty of new things that lie ahead for this school year - new staff and friends, new mentoring ministry, new job, new students, new curriculum.  I would appreciate your prayers for intentionality and focus this year as I embrace these new things and endeavor to "end well."  It's all for His glory!

2 comments:

  1. Enjoy your last days in the States and welcome back!!! =) Looking forward to working with you next year Heather!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So blessed by your visit and friendship! Praying for you as you head out tonight!

    ReplyDelete